Above & Beyond is a full service sewing and vacuum center, with two convenient locations in Thornton and Centennial, CO. We carry industry-leading products from Baby Lock, Miele, Dyson, and Simplicity, along with providing fast, professional repair services for all sewing machine and vacuum models, and the largest selection of sewing and quilting classes in Colorado. With over 100 years of combined experience, our staff specializes in exceeding customer expectations through product knowledge and training, ongoing support, and down-home service you won't find anywhere else in the Denver area! Read More...
~ Kate's Corner
Keeping your machine out of the repair shop
Our goal at Above & Beyond Sewing and Vacuum is to be your source for all things sewing and vacuum related. This means a constant responsibility to keep you educated on how to make your sewing life easier. Many times when people bring in their sewing machines in for repair, we are able to send them out with a working machine within about five minutes. We have a set procedure that we do with every machine and we figure if we can pass that on to you, it might save you a trip in to see us. Here are the trouble shooting steps you need to take before you bring your sewing machine in for repair.
- Change your needle-Needles are the number one cause for sewing machine problems and the first thing you need to look at when you are trying to troubleshoot what’s wrong with your sewing machine
- Change the spool of thread-Even if you have sewn out 4 projects with that spool of thread change it out anyway. Sometimes a spool of thread can have a bad section in it and changing it out can make all the difference in the world for your sewing problems.
- Test both the top and the bottom tensions to make sure you are firmly inside your tension assembly. Sometimes simply rethreading the machine can fix whatever ails your sewing machine. Simply unthread the whole machine and then rethread. Do this in both the top and the bobbin thread.
- Clean and oil the machine. Certain machines don’t need to be oiled, but they all need to be cleaned. Make sure you are doing this as part of your routine maintenance to keep your machine in perfect working order.
- Change out the bobbin. Make sure as you are winding your bobbin that you make sure it is wound tight and even. This can also make a significant difference in how your stitch looks
- Be sure to use the correct size spool cap for the thread you are using. This is particularly important for those of you with a horizontal spool pin. Sometimes just paying attention to the small details can make a huge difference in your sewing machine performance.
Hopefully these hints will help you keep your sewing machine out of the repair shop. At Above & Beyond Sewing and Vacuum we want to be your sewing and vacuum experts and look forward to helping you with all your needs.
Going Above & Beyond for you,
Kate and Patrick
Click here to view previous Tips & Tricks!!!
You just can't get this kind of love and customer service anymore! Jen W.
Fantastic store in everyway! The staff is very professional, very knowledgeable and fair and fun to deal with. Jan R.
This was my first time to visit Above & Beyond, like their name , Matt was Above & Beyond, he took care of my problem, with no problem. I am very impressed with the service here, I would recommend Above & Beyond to any one. Nadeem Q.